Sunday, April 26, 2009

Smiles and Stories

It typically starts with a smile and then a story is shared.

The goldsmith who Will commissioned to design a ring for me in honor of Daniel's adoption was so excited to work with us because she has a brother who was adopted from Korea.

Abby's swimming teacher saw Daniel and smiled and smiled and told us about her ten-year-old sister who was adopted from Korea.

At a birthday party for one of Abby's classmates yesterday, the birthday girl's mom asked me about Daniel and told me about her brother and sister who were adopted from Korea eighteen and twenty years ago.

During dinner last night in Minneapolis, I noticed the smiles from the couple across the room. As we were getting ready to leave, they came over and introduced themselves and told us about their son who they adopted from Korea when he was four years old. She showed us his picture and said that he had recently graduated from college and is now in the Peace Corps.

And always, people turn to Abby and smile and say what a good big sister she must be!

We love it! We love celebrating Daniel and we love the smiles and stories of these families. I imagine in twenty years or so, I'm going to be walking across the room to smile at a baby and share my story of Daniel!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this, Lynette. I think my cousin, Kyah, can really appreciate this. She's in her mid-30s now but was adopted from Korea as a baby (by my dad's brother and his wife).

    ReplyDelete